The Front Porch

Promoting some old-fashioned hospitality and neighborly banter in Morrison Ranch

Friday, July 07, 2006

Bugs in the Ranch

The picture shows Highland Groves in the foreground, and was taken yesterday. I really enjoy seeing the projects come together, and doing so from the air is great. If you could zoom in really really close, you would see lots of bugs at Highland Groves. We don't know why. We once suspected the construction pond at the northeast corner, but it is filled in. Others suspected the lake, and we treated it twice. I am currently suspecting the corn to the east and south, which would be good, because even as this picture was taken, the corn was being chopped up and hauled to the dairy. That means there will no longer be that source of food and water.

Equally, we don't know what to do. We have had two different pesticide companies out and they say there is nothing to be done. I just got a call from a resident, who put me on to the idea of "fogging". The county does it for Mosquitoes, but not midge flies. The county says these are midge flies. They remind me of white flies, but apparently those are a little different. We are trying to get in touch with the individual at the county who identified the bugs and made the recommendation, to see if they know someone who provides this service privately. But right now there is no solution before us.

I know they are a nuisance. I was out there for an hour this morning. I gather some days they are even worse. The result is that many residents are calling sales people, builder offices, the management company, and our office to complain, and look for relief. Many of the answers I have heard, first or second hand, have a big dose of "that's someone elses problem" in them. Well, this answer has none of that. I simply have no option before me that professionals recommend as both safe and effective. We are looking for one. As soon as we find it, we can start addressing the question of who pays for it.

We had a huge outbreak of white fly about 10 years ago. It was through most of Gilbert. There was no one from whom to ask relief. But in a couple of months it ran it's course. I hope that at the worst, that is what we have here. A natural condition bigger than man (it happens!), but which takes care of itself. I further hope we can find something which helps sooner. In the meanwhile, you are welcome to call. I for one will give the uncomforting, unfortunate, honest answer that we don't know what to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home