The Front Porch

Promoting some old-fashioned hospitality and neighborly banter in Morrison Ranch

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Wedded Bliss Beginning in D.C.


I wanted to share a picture of my niece and her new husband as they cut the cake, and say that the wedding and reception were quite fabulous. As I was looking through the pictures I took, I remarked to myself how blessed we are as a family to have enjoyed two spectacular weddings in a span of less than six months (the first weddings in this generation, as well). We have the bonus of welcoming two great guys into the family. Of course, I didn't take very many pictures, because I was too busy enjoying myself; but I want to share a couple of them, as well as some history.

My brother from Wyoming once pointed out to me that everything in Arizona is new; he didn't see old buildings, and he didn't see much that was run-down. Perhaps I haven't done a very good job as a tour guide in taking him to some of our historic sites! (Maybe next time he comes we can go to Tucson and look at a building that was completed in 1797...) I was struck, however, in our time in Washington, D.C., by the sheer magnitude of history surrounding us on all sides. I mentioned to The Mister that I can't imagine a building being built in Phoenix today that would have the name or purpose of the building engraved in the stone at the top; everyone assumes that a building's beginning use probably won't be its ending use. But on the streets of our country's capital, we passed a myriad of engraved labels - "Department of the Treasury", "Department of Commerce", "Bureau of Engraving", and the like. And the references to Washington, Lincoln, and other great names from the country's early years were myriad.

So it came as no surprise that the church where my niece was wed shared this history. According to the bulletin:

Originally a parish of the Church of England, Christ Episcopal Church was the first church in Alexandria and has been serving its congregation, the community, and the nation in the Anglican tradition since it was completed by John Carlyle in February 1773. The design by James Wren is in the colonial Georgian style...

The building was constructed of native brick and roofed with juniper shingles which have been replaced with slate. The stone trimmings were from the Aquia Creek quarry south of Alexandria... The bell tower was constructed in stages during the nineteenth century...

Here's a view of the outside with our Wildcat daughter and me:




The inside felt very intimate, and the acoustics were phenomenal, from being able to hear the priest plainly to being filled by the stirring organ music and crystal clear trumpet notes.

The present "wine glass pulpit" was installed during the early 1890's. It is believed that the wooden "tablets" on either side of the pulpit, now mellowed to ivory, were originally painted white and hand-lettered in black by James Wren. They have never been repaired or retouched.


Here is a look at the inside (click on the picture for a larger look; you can almost read the Lord's prayer and ten commandments on the side banners):



George Washington and Robert E. Lee, when in residence in the area, were regular worshippers. George Washington's pew, which is preserved in its original state, Robert E. Lee's pew, and the "Free Pew for Strangers" are marked.


Amazing.

It was truly a great time; all of the "events" proceeded smoothly and all of the participants enjoyed themselves. And now the young couple moves on to the "daily" part of wedded bliss, in which I have no doubt they will succeed handsomely.

1 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the wonderful wedding tribute! As mother of the bride, I was without a camera tucked anywhere, and the father of the bride had his safely stowed in his trouser pocket for use later in the evening. Beautiful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home