The Front Porch

Promoting some old-fashioned hospitality and neighborly banter in Morrison Ranch

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Why Yes, That IS Unique

One of The Mister's second cousins came by the office yesterday. She lives in Tennessee and came out for about a week. The Mister's aunt (our family historian - she knows the answers to any family question, from who married whom, to how so-and-so is related to us, to did Uncle so-and-so really break his arm getting kicked by a cow?) drove her around for several hundred miles to visit folks and eat Mexican food, and they ended up at our office. I'll point out to new readers that our office is situated in what was once The Mister's grandmother's house, and there are many memory-laden artifacts throughout.

This second cousin was quite taken by the door-knocker, and as I looked at it, I had to agree that it is indeed unique. Sometimes we take things for granted. I snapped a picture of it; you can't quite see it, but at the very top is The Mister's grandfather's name, H.C. Morrison. The spur actually extends out to perform the knocking. I've actually never heard it used for that purpose; people usually ring the bell. And The Mister echoes that thought: he has never heard it used, either. I'm going to try it out when I get to the office today; I'll let you know if it works.




Our visiting second cousin has been writing a book on the geneology of the Morrisons for about 10 years, and she said it will be finished this year. I'll be looking forward to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home