The Front Porch

Promoting some old-fashioned hospitality and neighborly banter in Morrison Ranch

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

A Well-Rounded Attorney

Last Saturday night, several of us in the office attended a 50-year anniversary/fundraising banquet for Young Life, a nonprofit group that reaches out to teenagers of all stripes. One of the guests at our table was one of our attorneys, Jim Huntwork. He is helping The Mister set up the structure for our work on the industrial portion of Morrison Ranch. While we were chatting, he let it slip that his and his wife's garden had been chosen for a photo in the current issue of Phoenix Home and Garden, page 108. When I was next at the store, I picked up the magazine, and sure enough, here is his backyard:






If you click your cursor on the picture, I think you can read the accompanying caption on the enlarged image. (Or maybe not; just go buy the magazine, I guess.)

He was explaining to me that the chess board idea sort of evolved, and what a tremendous effort he put into his internet shopping for the chess pieces. I never knew there were huge, hand-carved wooden chess pieces for sale in the world (with a huge, matching price tag, he said). These are the more economic, non-wood, variety; and he actually plays chess on this board. He says it's great to walk around the pieces while pondering the next move.

There are plenty of attorney jokes out there, and I will confess to telling some myself; but this guy busts the stereotype, I think; and he's a very good attorney. Nice combination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home