The Front Porch

Promoting some old-fashioned hospitality and neighborly banter in Morrison Ranch

Friday, August 26, 2005

Paperless Office Update

I'm pretty sure that you aren't as excited about the paperless office as I am, but because it's my front porch, sometimes you will be subjected to topics that bore you. A CPA friend of mine once quipped, "CPAs aren't boring people, they just get excited about boring things!" Fair enough.

Cox is coming this morning to get us all hooked up for a business line with a static IP address. We currently have all of the hardware except the scanner, and that decision will be made along with the decision about which software to use. We have one more bid coming in, and then we will make those decisions. By the time we get everything installed and the training completed, and get ready to actually start, it will be about - 3 weeks! Have I ever mentioned that things always take longer and cost more?

My admiration for the Mister in the technology area has only increased. We sit in these meetings about which software to use, and to me it sounds like this:

"You'll need a static IP address if you're planning to VPN, of course."
"Of course; we have that planned already. What do you think about OCR capabilities?"
"I usually advise against that to begin; your indexing feature should work fine as long as you use the correct metatags."

I am following along great up to this point. I don't know my way around a computer quite as well as I know my way around a kitchen, but I can boil eggs, metaphorically speaking. But then they go off into some other world, and the language turns into this:

"We would want to scan with at least 50 ppm, with an interface to the fribber jabber, unless you suggest that we XPDF to the DPTSQ and use the blah blah blah USB port, backing up with something something on the server supported by the blah blah blah..."

I know the actual definition of every fifth word, but I really can't put them together, and try as I might, I know my eyes are glazing over, and honestly, I start to wish for a good strong discussion on the Alternative Minimum Tax or something like it that's more understandable. But the Mister understands it all, and I know that we'll get the right solution.

You may wonder how I plan on implementing this if I can't keep up in these conversations? Well, I am still quite teachable, and I find myself much more able to grasp the software side of things than the hardware. Not to mention that real world applications make things easier to understand. I'm quite confident that once everything is in place, everybody in our office will be able to understand enough to put something in the system and get something out of the system. And that's all I need to declare it a success.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home