The Front Porch

Promoting some old-fashioned hospitality and neighborly banter in Morrison Ranch

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Technology Update

When I wondered last Friday whether the two IT guys that came in to set up our server were going to need 4 whole days to do it, I was pretty naive! Not only did they need the 4 days, they also used most of 2 more nights; one night it was after 3 am before they quit. These guys introduced me to a new axiom: Things always take 40% longer to accomplish than you plan, even when you take into account the extra 40%. It proved to be true this weekend. When I think of working for 4 days on very little sleep, I have to call them kids because they had enough energy to do that. When I think of all that they accomplished, my label morphs into Mighty Men. If you've ever fought with a computer, whether you've won the battle or lost it, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

So I suppose for the next week or so, we will be battling through some small changes, and getting used to the new security systems, and figuring out how to actually work. The Mister is our in-house IT guy, but we will be making plenty of phone calls to the Mighty Men as well. And this doesn't even include the paperless software yet! That is supposed to come on Friday, and so next weekend will be spent on this project as well. I am very excited to see it come together.

A very fun bonus for me is a biometric mouse. This little baby requires my fingerprint to access secure information on my computer. It shows my fingerprint as I log in, and there's an annoying computer voice telling me that access is granted (I'm going to change him to a beep), and I feel like a spy or at least like I'm working for CSI. I've already heard a few comments of envy about my fingerprinting mouse, so in the future I may not be the only one in the office to have one; but it's sure fun. What do you think about a retinal scanner next?

That's the scoop on the office; maybe later today I'll get some updates on the actual goings-on in Morrison Ranch...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home