The Front Porch

Promoting some old-fashioned hospitality and neighborly banter in Morrison Ranch

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

A Surprising, But Welcome Endorsement

Here I've been reminiscing today about the beginnings of Morrison Ranch, and unbeknownst to me, Bias For Action was reading about another Gilbert resident's memories. So when I got to the office, this was the topic of our conversation:

The very first week after moving into our new house in 1998, a flier was placed on the front door announcing a neighborhood meeting at a local public school to make residents aware of the pending zoning action on the farmland adjacent to our subdivision. Though I do not remember specifics about what was on the flier, the words were sufficient to make me and more than 200 other residents show up at the meeting the next week.

When I arrived at the evening meeting, the room was full of concerned residents and the group was quickly moved to a larger room down the hall. The apparent organizer started the meeting with personal biographical information that in my mind gave some credence to the affair. The opening remarks for the meeting listed planned speakers, which included a doctor to speak on health effects of the proposed zoning change. I thought this is exactly what I came for - to gather pertinent and authoritative information to evaluate what, if anything, I should do next. I was ready, notebook on my lap and pencil in my hand, to learn what was going on near my new house.

The pending zoning change was for portions of the then Morrison farm that would become Morrison Ranch, the beautiful, unique, master-planned jewel in eastern Gilbert. The area covers about 3,000 acres and in my view will have no equal anywhere in the area - it certainly doesn't today with only a few hundred acres developed.

I also remember 1998, and I won't say much about that time other than it was difficult for me; I didn't attend any of the zoning meetings, and only watched portions of them on TV. But I applaud Mr. Hollar for being willing to listen to the facts, and I am deeply appreciative of this unsolicited endorsement! Please read the entire article.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home