The Front Porch

Promoting some old-fashioned hospitality and neighborly banter in Morrison Ranch

Friday, February 10, 2006

Lights Again



This was a welcome sight outside our front windows yesterday morning. That's because it led to this welcome sight outside our front windows last night:





I had actually planned on posting about this light pole quite a while ago. I was going to pass on the fact that when a street light is out, we don't call the HOA to fix it, but the town of Gilbert. And then I was so clever that I was going to give you the link to report it online, since we are all so computer proficient. I was going to tell you to be sure to write down the number that is prominently displayed on the light pole, because that helps the town identify which light needs repair. My intent was to mention that on lights like the one in front of our house, the two-pronged kind, each one has its own number. I would try it out, and then I would report back to you about how easy and efficient it all is. This was back before Thanksgiving.

I did use the online method to report the lights out - both of them - and then I received a phone call from the town confirming my report. Since I had the woman on the line, I added the interesting fact that these light poles had red tape around them. She wasn't exactly sure what that meant, but was going to pass it on. She assured me that a crew would be out to take a look in 8 to 10 days. A few days later, I saw a truck with an extension crane drive slowly down our street; and then I watched it drive around the cul-de-sac and off to a different light. And then the holidays were in full force, and though I often thought about the lights - like every time I drove home at night and noticed how dark it was, but it wasn't so bad with everyone's Christmas lights on - I never seemed to remember them during the day when I could follow up on my original request.

Fast forward to yesterday; The Mister says, "Hey, it looks like they're going to repair your street lights." Somehow, they had become "mine"; was it the complaining? Anyway, he went out to have a chat with the fellows; he found out that these two men are the only two men available to do all the lights in Gilbert! Furthermore, "my" lights had already been repaired five times; so today they were re-wiring them in the hope that it would be a better fix. Well, that's different, then.

But they are fixed; they are lit, and my corner of the street doesn't seem so dark at night.

1 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are still several lights in Higley Estates that are not working.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home